In these creations of God, a woman has the power to give birth to a new life. Unfortunately, there are many women who due to some or the other reasons are unable to do so and this society called them a “cursed woman”. Well in spite of being a slave of superstition it’s time to do to think what is wrong???
Infertility is not a curse but it’s an abnormality where a woman is unable to conceive a baby.
This abnormality does not only occur in women but in many cases, males are also infertile and their sperms are not viable to fertilize an egg. However, in our gender biased society people hide the infertility of men.
Since, here we are talking about infertility in women, there are range of causes which are responsibility for causing this abnormality:
- Age: A woman after 30s has more chances of infertility.
- Smoking: A curse for a modern life style. Smoking significantly increases the risk of infertility in both men and women, and it may undermine the effects of fertility treatment. Smoking during pregnancy increases the chance of pregnancy loss. Passive smoking has also been linked to lower fertility.
- Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol is not good for anything. A little amount of alcohol consumption can affect the chances of conceiving.
- Being obese or overweight: This can increase the risk of infertility in women as well as men.
- Eating disorders: If an eating disorder leads to serious weight loss, fertility problems may arise.
- Diet: A lack of folic acid, iron, zinc, and vitamin B-12 can affect fertility. Women who are at risk, including those on a vegan diet, should ask the doctor about supplements.
- Exercise: Both too much and too little exercise can lead to fertility problems.
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs): Chlamydia can damage the fallopian tubes in a woman and cause inflammation in a man’s scrotum. Some other STIs may also cause infertility.
- Exposure to some chemicals: Some pesticides, herbicides, metals, such as lead, and solvents have been linked to fertility problems in both men and women. A mouse study has suggested that ingredients in some household detergents may reduce fertility.
- Mental stress: This may affect female ovulation and male sperm production and can lead to reduced sexual activity.
How we can treat this???
It is a pathway for the parenthood when a woman carries a pregnancy for another person or couple. IVF, ICSI, and egg donation can help infertile couples produce an embryo, pregnancy may still not be an option for a woman whose uterus is missing or badly damaged, who would face life-threatening risks if she carried a child to term, or who cannot produce eggs for fertilization.
For these women, surrogacy may be the best option, since it allows a couple to parent a child genetically related to them without the medical risks of pregnancy. A surrogate mother carries the foetus to term.
There are two types of surrogacy
- Traditional Surrogacy: Traditional surrogacy is most often used for couples where the woman cannot provide eggs for fertilization. Instead, the surrogate provides the egg, and the intended father (or an anonymous sperm donor) provides the sperm. The foetus is therefore genetically related to the surrogate. The sperm is joined with the egg inside the surrogate’s body through artificial insemination or assisted reproductive technology procedures.
- Gestational Surrogacy: In this females are able to produce eggs but cannot carry a baby in their womb. The eggs are inseminated with IVF, and the resulting embryo is transferred to the surrogate’s uterus in an embryo transfer procedure. The embryo is therefore not genetically related to the surrogate.
Is surrogacy cost effective????
In Commercial surrogacy, the surrogate or gestational carrier will receive financial compensation for incurred expenses that come along with the process and the gestation. Some of these costs (not all) include fertility costs, medical costs during the pregnancy, legal fees, lost wages and any other incurred costs related to the surrogacy.
Surrogacy Bill Regulation 2016 prohibits commercial surrogacy.
Compassionate surrogacy agreements are those where the surrogate, usually a close friend or family member, offers to carry a pregnancy less the surrogate fee. The intended parent(s) will cover all of the incurred expenses that go along with a surrogate agreement but there is no financial compensation provided to the surrogate.
Though surrogacy is a blessing in disguise but some people misuse them for commercial purpose. In poor families, people sell their daughter’s womb for the sake of money.
Giving birth to a new young one is the greatest blessing for a woman. It is very important that we should value this blessing. Surrogacy is an alternative to the infertility not for earning money.